When it comes to eco-friendly birthday party decorations, there are plenty of cute and festive options that are good for the planet too. From handmade fabric banners and garlands to birthday crowns and chalkboard signs, I’m sharing my favorite sustainable party decor you can reuse every year!
For your convenience, this post contains direct affiliate links for my favorite eco-friendly birthday party decorations. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
5 Festive & Eco-Friendly Birthday Party Decorations You Can Reuse Every Year
Instead of buying new party supplies each year, try these versatile birthday decorations to save time and money when another birthday rolls around.
Plus, using the same special birthday items again and again creates family traditions – with cherished memories and photographs featuring those favorite reusable decorations.
1. Fabric Garland and Bunting Banners
If you are crafty, try making your own fabric bunting banner repurposing old garments. Or, take the easy route and support some of these talented small businesses on Etsy:
- Happy Birthday Felt Garland Banner: Super cute with some festive birthday flair.
- Pom Pom Garland: A versatile decoration for a variety of celebrations.
- Colorful Bunting Banner: A classic decoration for birthdays or any type of party.
2. Birthday Crown
Give the royal treatment with a birthday crown! Perfect for children or anyone who is young at heart.
- Fabric Crown: A lovely simple crown that can be worn for birthdays or for everyday kids’ dress up play.
- Personalized Birthday Crown: Add a personalized touch with a name embroidery.
3. Chalkboard Sign
If you have an artistic side, a chalkboard sign is a wonderful way to add some creative designs to your birthday decor.
Scope out your local thrift store or Facebook Marketplace for a new-to-you chalkboard sign. If you can’t find a secondhand one, check out these online options:
- Personalized Chalkboard Easel: A handy easel for decorating a table or countertop. Order a multi-purpose blank chalkboard or add a personalized message.
- Extra Large Sandwich Chalkboard: Perfect for an outdoor party.
- DIY Chalkboard Wallpaper Sign: Repurpose some scrap wood and make your own sign with some easy-to-use chalkboard wallpaper.
Need some inspiration for drawing a chalkboard birthday message? I’ve saved lots of chalkboard art ideas to a Pinterest board.
4. Happy Birthday Plate
A reusable ceramic birthday plate makes that birthday cake and ice cream extra festive!
- Happy Birthday Plate: Go with a general birthday message to use for anyone’s birthday celebration, or…
- Personalized Birthday Plate: Choose a personalized option for someone special.
If you have a local pottery studio nearby, another fun idea would be making and decorating your own birthday plate.
5. Linen Birthday Tablecloth or Table Runner
Add some cozy vibes to your birthday party with a linen tablecloth or table runner. Below are lots of cheery options with either specific birthday designs or festive patterns for any celebration.
- Linen Birthday Table Runner: A celebratory addition to a birthday meal.
- Balloon Tablecloth: A fun way to incorporate balloons without the plastic waste.
- Colorful Triangle Tablecloth: Gorgeous handmade linens bursting with color for any occasion.
- Polka Dot Tablecloth: A bright and cheerful tablecloth perfect for a birthday party.
Disposable & Eco-Friendly Birthday Party Decorations
While reusable birthday party decorations are the most eco-friendly route, sometimes you need some disposable supplies as well. Here are a few ideas that are a little more sustainable than regular disposables.
- Streamers (Biodegradable): A more sustainable take on a traditional birthday decoration.
- Bamboo Pastel Plates (Biodegradable): Adorable bamboo plates with scalloped edges in a variety of pastel colors.
- Wooden Utensils (Compostable): An eco-friendly substitute for disposable plastic utensils.
- Soy Ink Straws (Biodegradable): Colorful striped straws for some birthday fun.
Happy Eco-Friendly Partying!
I hope you make some wonderful new traditions this year by adding in some special, reusable birthday decor to your celebrations.
Any other favorite eco-friendly birthday party decorations you would add to this list? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
For more eco-friendly birthday ideas, check out 15 Eco-Friendly Birthday Party Favors Kids Will Love.